Columbia was a site for the Navy’s V-12 programs, which trained approximately 850 doctors, dentists, and chaplains for military service. Columbia’s College of Physicians and Surgeons created a hospital that followed the movement of U.S. troops to England and then across France. Its personnel tended to the wounded in field hospitals and often in tents close to the front. In 1942 the University organized the Second General Hospital at the Medical Center campus to treat soldiers and sailors sent home due to the severity of their wounds. Staffed with 65 doctors and 120 nurses, the facility remained in operation until June 1945.